Fall Semester 2017
Important Dates for
Undergraduate Students:

April 17 - June 28: 
Phase I Enrollment Appointments

July 19 - August 13: 
Phase II Enrollment Appointments

August 14 - October 27: 
Enrollment Adjustment Period

August 18:
Fall 2017 tuition and fees are due

August 23:
Instruction Begins

Enrolling in Classes

CalCentral is your entry point for enrolling in classes at UC Berkeley. Here are some resources:

CalCentral Enrollment Guide a step-by-step guide to enrollment
Berkeley Academic Guide the Berkeley catalog of classes
Office of the Registrar enrollment policies and procedures

Graduate Students

If you are enrolled in one of the following  programs, you may have different enrollment dates and processes. Please contact your advisor for more information.

Haas School of Business MBA, EMBA EWMBA School of Information MIDS Goldman School of Public Policy MPA Berkeley School of Law School of Optometry OD(link is external) School of Public Health OOMPH(link is external)

Information for Graduate Students

Enroll early to be eligible for the following:

  1. Be hired for academic appointments such as GSI and GSR
  2. Receive stipend(s) from university fellowships and grants
  3. Access to some university services and programs such as university health, counseling and psychological services, and libraries

To be eligible, you must enroll even if you are only enrolling in non-classroom courses, such as independent research and writing units.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I waitlist a class?

To waitlist a class, select the "Wait list if class is full" option when the class in your Shopping Cart.

See How Do I Waitlist a Class? for full step-by-step instructions and screenshots.

How do I change my grading option?

To change a grading option, you can either select your grading option when adding a class to your shopping cart, or you can click Options for a class you are enrolled in or waitlisted for. You can change your grading option up until the Grading Change Deadline. These deadlines differ by college. 

See Change Grading Option for full step-by-step instructions and screenshots.

What is the swap function and how do I use it?

"Swap" can be used to drop one class and simultaneously add another. By swapping rather than dropping and then adding, you ensure that you will not give up your spot in one class and be unable to enroll in the other.

See What is the "Swap" Function for more information.

Why am I getting a time conflict, and what do I do?

If you receive a time conflict, two of your classes meet at the same time. CalCentral will alert you at the point of enrollment and give you an opportunity to submit an online request to enroll in both classes. It will take approximately one business day to process request forms. If no other restrictions prevent you from enrolling in both classes, your time conflict restriction will be waived and your enrollment will be processed.

See Enrollment Time Conflict Process for more information.

What are the unit caps for each phase?

  • Unit caps for Undergraduate students: 
    • 13.5 units for Phase I
    • 17.5 units for Phase II
  • Unit caps for Graduate students:
    • 12.5 units for Phase I
    • 20.5 units for Phase II

Students can enroll up to their college's maximum unit cap during the Adjustment Period.

What is course level restriction?

Undergraduates cannot enroll in Graduate courses by default. If you are an Undergraduate student who is interested in taking a Graduate course, please consult with your advisor to find out if your department will grant permission for you to enroll in that class.

When are my finals?

You can find out when you finals are on the Schedule of Classes and Final Exams.

I still can't find the answer to my question. Where can I get answers?

Find a step-by-step guide on enrollment with the CalCentral enrollment guide.

For more frequently asked questions see our Berkeley Enrollment FAQ document.

If you continue to have technical difficulties, please email sishelp@berkeley.edu for assistance.