As the release of CalCentral functionality nears completion, UC Berkeley instructors (including faculty, lecturers, GSIs, and other instructor titles) will now have new tools to manage key aspects of their classes. This integrated and centralized system will allow instructors to access all of their class information, roster, and grading needs in one place.
Deadlines for Submitting Fall 2016 Final Grades
- Dec. 12 Grading rosters are available in CalCentral
- Dec. 21 Grades Due: 5 days after the end of term
- Jan. 6 Final Grade Submission Deadline*
*Financial aid, honors, probation, and graduation clearance may be adversely affected for students whose grades are still missing grades after Jan. 6.
Highlights for Instructors
In SIS Campus Solutions, faculty will be able to:
- Get an overview of all sections for a given course through the Class Enrollment tab. It provides a quick way of finding which sections have open seats and how many seats are open.
- View class rosters for spring 2017.
- Faculty will continue to be able to view Class Rosters in bCourses.
- Faculty Advisors will have the option to review students’ planned course schedule and related data
- Instructors can now go to schedule.berkeley.edu (link is external) to Search the Schedule of Classes (link is external), or to view and print PDF versions of the spring 2017 Graduate (link is external) and Undergraduate (link is external) schedule of classes.
- From their CalCentral My Academics tab, Instructors will be able to view a history of their previously taught classes.
- From their CalCentral My Academics tab, instructors will be able to view their spring 2017 class schedule and class details, including rosters as students begin enrolling in their classes.
- bCourses is not changing and continues to be UC Berkeley’s preferred Learning Management System (LMS).
CalCentral offers a streamlined way for instructors to review class information, manage rosters, support enrollments, and submit final grading. The new SIS will provide near real-time updates to rosters and waitlists, and improved data for classes and program planning. Students will have one place to review and manage their academic, financial and administrative activities. Faculty Advisors will have additional advising and academic planning tools on CalCentral.
- SIS has been working closely with the Academic Senate chairs throughout 2016. An Academic Senate Advisory Committee to SIS (ASAC) was created in May 2016 to incorporate guidance and input from the faculty/instructor perspective. The committee meets bi-weekly with key SIS project team members.
Currently the following faculty serve on the committee: Oliver O'Reilly, committee chair (Mechanical Engineering), Neil Tsutsui (Environmental Science, Policy & Mgmt), Phil Kaminsky (Industrial Engineering & Operations Research), Sam Mchombo (African American Studies), and Steve Justice (English).
- ASAC has broadened faculty engagement in SIS by creating an additional pool of 25 faculty, the Faculty Input Group. In Fall 2016, members from that group have participated in two design-input sessions and one user-acceptance testing session.
- Two faculty members have provided leadership on SIS project governance bodies: Bob Jacobsen (co-chairing the SIS Steering Council) and Fiona Doyle (Executive Steering Committee).
- More than 30 instructors participated throughout 2016 in recent user experience design interviews to provide the instructor perspective.
- A group of faculty participated in a recent New Chairs Seminar on SIS.
- Individual Sessions: Schedule an individual session to share your insights and concerns in a 30-minute usability session at a campus location convenient to you. Contact Rachel Hollowgrass at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) for more information.
- Focus Groups: Participate in a focus group. Contact Bernadette Geuy at email@example.com (link sends e-mail) for more information.
- To learn more about the SIS project, visit the Student Information Systems project website(link is external).
- To learn more about the new CalCentral, visit the CalCentral website(link is external).
- For technical issues, email: firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).