This job aid explains the basic steps required to add new class sections. For a detailed description of every field on the pages referenced in this document, see the “Scheduling and Maintaining Classes” reference guide at sis.berkeley.edu/training.
- From the Main Menu, navigate to: Curriculum Management >Schedule of Classes >Maintain Schedule of Classes.
- Under Search Criteria, use the look up table or enter the Term, Subject Area, and Catalog Nbr of the class you would like to edit.
- Select Search. The Basic Data page for the class will appear next.
NOTE: If a list of classes appears below the Search button, select the link for the intended class to get to the Basic Data page.
- On the Basic Data page select the plus sign at the right corner to add a new, additional section.
NOTE: On the new section, complete the required fields (instructions below) and select the Save button on the bottom, left for the system to assign a Class Nbr to the new section.
- Enter “1” in the Session box, and press tab on your keyboard. Pressing tab here will populate the Start/End instruction dates for the selected term.
- Enter the Class Section number.
NOTE: As a numbering convention, primary Enrollment sections start at 001, and Non-Enrollment sections start at 101.
- Enter the Component. For a list of approved components for this class, use the look up table ( ) to select.
- Select the Class Type. “Enrollment” is the default for primary Components of a class. Choose “Non-Enrollment Section” if you are scheduling a section that is a secondary Component.
- Assign an Associated Class number. These link class sections that constitute a single course offering.
For enrollment components, the Associated Class number should match that component's section number (“1” for section 001, “2” for section 002, etc.). Additionally, the standard rule should be that the Associated Class number matches the enrollment component's Associated Class number.
Exception: if there is more than one enrollment component and the department wants students to be able to choose any of the non-enrollment sections, in which case the Associated Class number should be “9999.”
- Check or uncheck the Schedule Print and Student Specific Permissions per your department’s business process for enrollment control.
** All remaining fields on the Basic Data screen are either pre-populated or should not be altered. **
- Select the Meetings tab.
- Enter “REQGA” in the Facility ID field if a General Assignment (GA) room is needed for this section. Enter the Facility ID of the department room if the class will be meeting in a department room.
NOTE: If a GA room is not needed, but a specific department room has not yet been assigned for the section, leave the Facility ID field blank.
- Enter the code or use the look up table ( ) to select a meeting pattern.
NOTE: If there is no pre-set meeting pattern (Pat) appropriate for the section, leave this field blank, and check the days of the week.
- Enter the Mtg Start time of the class. Tab out to populate the Mtg End time.
NOTE: The end time of the class will automatically populate based on the meeting pattern selected. Confirm the end time is correct.
Caution: The Mtg End time must be set for :29 or :59 if the class would normally end on the half hour or on the hour. Classes must not end on the half hour or the hour to avoid a time conflict with another class start time.
If the desired meeting pattern is not on the look up table, the end time will populate to one hour later. Delete this end time and enter the end time (most often :29 or :59).
- Use the Free Format Topic field for special topics (32 character limit). Additionally, use the Notes tab for longer explanations.
NOTE: Do not use the Topic ID field or the Print Topic On Transcript checkbox.
- Choose the Instructor from the ID look up table. Instructors and GSI’s will automatically be added to this list once they have completed the HR hiring process. You can save the class section without an instructor and return later to add them.
- Choose an Instructor Role from the drop down menu.
NOTE: Do not use “Teaching with Invalid Title”
- The Print checkbox defaults to checked. Uncheck this box if you do not wish to display the instructor in the schedule of classes.
- Choose the Instructor’s Access level for grading and approving grades.
- In the Contact field, enter the number of minutes the instructor is teaching, if it differs from the meeting pattern.
- The plus and minus buttons allow you to add additional instructors or delete unneeded Instructors.
- If requesting a GA classroom (REQGA entered as the Facility ID), enter a Room Characteristic ID, or use the look up table to select any room features required for this class section. The plus and minus buttons allow you to add or delete characteristics.
- Select the Enrollment Cntrl tab.
- Enter the Requested Room Capacity.
NOTE: Only rooms that have a capacity equal to or greater than the Requested Room Capacity will be considered for assignment to the section.
- Enter the Enrollment Capacity.
NOTE: The Enrollment Capacity must be equal to or less than the Requested Room Capacity, even if the facility is a department room. Room capacities can be seen to the right of the Facility ID on the Meetings tab once the Facility ID has been entered.
- Select the Reserve Cap tab. Reserve capacities are used to limit enrollment in the section or to set aside a number of seats in the class for a select group or groups of students.
- Select the Notes tab. Special notes for the class can be entered in the Free Format Text box. Select the plus button to add additional notes.
- Select the Exam tab to request extra seat spacing for the final exam (if necessary).
NOTE: Do not enter any other information on this tab. The Office of the Registrar will assign exam times and room.
- Select Save.
For questions or assistance, please contact SIS Production Support:
- Email: email@example.com
For additional SIS resources, please visit: