Reserve Capacity Sequences and Requirement Groups allow you to reserve seats in a class for a specified group of students. This job aid describes the steps to setting up a class using reservation capacity functionality. If a Requirement Group, or a group with a combination of requirements, does not already exist in the look up table, please contact the Office of the Registrar to request that a new Requirement Group be created.
WARNING: You must create a new Reserve Capacity Sequence for each Requirement Group. Adding different types of Requirement Groups under one sequence will result in a failure of the functionality.
- From the Main Menu, navigate to: Curriculum Management >Schedule of Classes>Maintain Schedule of Classes.
- Under Search Criteria, use the look up table (magnifying glass) or enter the Term, Subject Area, and Catalog Nbr of the class you would like to edit.
- Select Search.
- On the Basic Data tab, make sure you are on the *Class Type = Enrollment section. If you have more than one Enrollment section, set up Reserve Capacities on each class section as needed.
NOTE: Reserve Capacities can only be set using *Class Type = Enrollment. They will automatically apply to all associated Non-Enrollment (secondary) class sections. For classes with Non-Enrollment sections, the Enrollment component is often (though not always) a Lecture or Seminar and the Non-Enrollment sections are often Discussions or Labs.
- Select the Enrollment Cntrl tab to check your Enrollment Capacity. The total number of reserved seats you create on the Reserve Cap tab cannot exceed this number.
- Select the Reserve Cap tab.
Notice that there are sections within sections on this page. The Reserve Capacity Sequence contains the Requirement Group section. This is very important in setting your reserve capacities correctly.
- For your first Reserve Capacity Sequence, begin by selecting a Start Date. Start dates often reflect the first date of student enrollment for the term.
- Click the Requirement Group look up table (magnifying glass) to open the Look Up Requirement Group table.
- Using the Description field, and changing the droplist selection from “begins with” to “contains,” is often the best way to find your Requirement Group.
- Select the Look Up button to bring up the search results.
- Select the Requirement Group link you want.
- Set the Cap Enrl to the number of seats you want to reserve for this Requirement Group.
NOTE: Remember that the total number of reserve capacity seats cannot exceed the Enrollment Capacity.
- To reserve seats for a different group of students, you must create additional Reserve Capacity Sequences. Click the top right“plus” button to add a second Sequence.
- Select the View All link to be able to see both sequences on your screen.
- In Reserve Capacity Sequence #2, you can select a different group of students to reserve seats for.
- Again, select a Start Date, use the look up icon (magnifying glass) to select your second Requirement Group and enter the number of desired reserved seats in the Cap Enrl field. Once students begin enrolling, the Enrollment Total number will show how many students enrolled into the reserved seats in each group.
(Optional) If desired, you can set a Requirement Group to “expire.” This means that, on a date of your choosing, seats that have not been filled by students meeting a particular Requirement Group can be opened for other students.
- To “expire” the Requirement Group in your first Reserve Capacity Sequence, select the “plus” button to the right of the Cap Enrl field.
- Use the Start Date field to select your “expiration” date.
- Type in the same Requirement Group code as on the first line in this sequence and enter “1” in the Cap Enrl field.
The “expire” feature is completely optional. You do not need to use it.
If you choose to use the “expire” feature on more than one Requirement Group, you must enter a “1” in the Cap Enrl field. If you use different expiration dates for different groups and enter a zero, then all groups will expire at the earliest expiration date with a zero.
DO NOT add a different Requirement Group in the same Reserve Capacity sequence. This will NOT work. You must create a new Reserve Capacity Sequence to add each new Requirement Group.
To add more Reserve Capacity Sequences simply follow the above instructions (use the "plus" button to add a new Reserve Capacity Sequence with a new Requirement Group.
For questions or assistance, please contact Campus Shared Services IT:
- Call 510-664-9000 (press option 6)
For additional SIS resources, please visit: sis.berkeley.edu/training